Postdoc Appreciation Week: Free Career Webinars
Postdoc Appreciation Week @GSO
The GSO offers two free webinars during the Postdoc Appreciation Week 2023.
1. Careers beyond academia
When? 18 September, 4 pm CEST
Transitioning from academia to another sector can be challenging:
- How do my skills translate to a job in the business, public or non-profit sectors?
- Where can I find inspiration and what’s behind certain job titles?
- How should my CV and a cover letter look like? Are there other ways to get a job?
- Do I need a LinkedIn profile and how can I leverage this tool? What can I expect in job interviews and how do I deal with narratives such as being “overqualified”?
The workshop will give first answers and offers a space to discuss questions and experiences of the participants.
About your host:
Birte Seffert heads the advisory services and programs at German Scholars Organization (GSO), an independent nonprofit that advises, connects, promotes, and funds researchers who want to build a career in Germany.
She studied Sinology, Political Science and Education in Berlin and China. After receiving her PhD, she worked in science management and with PhDs and Postdocs in career counseling. She is a trained systemic coach.
Connect with Birte via LinkedIn .
2. Understanding the German Research System
When? 18 September, 5:30 pm CEST
Navigating a career in academia is always challenging. In order to make informed decisions and strategically plan your career or next step in the German research landscape, it is important to know how the system works and what options you can pursue. The input will cover the following topics and you will get the chance to discuss your questions:
- An overview of academic career paths in Germany
- Specifics of the German system
- Funding options
- Managing your expectations and tapping into resources
About your host:
Anne Schreiter is Executive Director of the German Scholars Organization (GSO), an independent nonprofit in Berlin that advises, connects, promotes, and funds researchers who want to build a career in Germany.
She studied Social and Business Communications and Sociology in Berlin and Chinese Language in Nanjing, China. After receiving her PhD in Organizational Sociology from the University of St. Gallen, she spent a year as postdoctoral researcher at UC Berkeley, USA. She then transitioned from academia to the nonprofit sector.