tbh-conference: Career Real Talk - The Summary 2022
The Idea: Supporting Scientists with a new Format
Our conference helped participants to
- envision a clearer path towards future success,
- manage expectations about immediate next steps, and
- make their voice heard.
While the topics were relevant for researchers everywhere, we focused on the German research system.
An Honest Exchange with Experts from Academia & beyond
Our speakers were peers and experts who know about the challenges of the (German) academic system first-hand. They openly shared their experiences and learnings, and were also there to listen the audience’s ideas and suggestions.
Learn more about the background of our speakers here:
Selected Tips from the Opening-Session:
- Set yourself up for serendipity, be proactive.
- As a PI run with the team and be patient with your co-workers.
- Are you experiencing administrative burdens? Communicate, also with the administrative team.
«As a team you can run much more further than on your own.» Prof. Dr. Tuan Leng Tay
Watch the videos to unpack all myths and gain honest input on the German academic system.
Recordings of Sessions
Myth Busting & Career Advice
An honest (and fun!) conversation with our guests about
- career myths and challenges in the German academic system,
- good and bad advice,
- hands-on tips, and
- ideas for a better system.
Myth Busting: DAY 2
On the second day speakers and participants met in small and confidential groups. In the video, you can listen to the wrap-up and most relevant learnings of these sessions:
1:27 Navigating Politics as a new Group leader/Professor (focus Germany)
6:11 Dealing with Discrimination & Power Abuse
10:24 Good Mentorship: Finding Mentors, being a Mentor
16:26 What surprised you the most?
Also, we collected some resources that might help you along your career path, including tips on
- career strategy & job search,
- career transition,
- getting a faculty position,
- strategic science communication,